Monday, June 2, 2008

travel books

I read Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert last month.. she traveled to Italy, Indonesia and Bali and wrote a book about it and I looooved it. I probably would have kept reading travel books just based on that, but now that I'm going to Taiwan they seem all the more relevant. It's interesting to read a book when you know everything actually happened. And the people who pick up and leave everything to travel are definitely a certain breed. I guess I'm one of them now.

Anyway I bought..
Way off the Road, Bill Geist (for my dad for father's day.. but I'm going to read it first :X)
Under the Tuscan Sun, Frances Mayes ..it's been calling my name. I watched the movie last night and it jumped out at me on the shelf at both Half Price Books locations
The Lost Continent, Bill Bryson
A Walk in the Woods, Bill Bryson (Marisa and countless bookstore employees have told me Bill Bryson is the best [travel] writer in the wooorld)
The River at the Center of the World, Simon Winchester
Without Reservations, Alice Steinbach
and Lonely Planet's book on Taiwan
and Lonely Planet's Mandarin phrasebook

So I'm all set with books.

No comments: