Tuesday, February 3, 2009

whose-its and whats-its galore

gram and spanky's long awaited box arrived today. there were tons of stickers to add to my growing sticker collection, and a million soup mixes, and a warm long sleeve shirt, and bullion, and homemade peanut brittle anddd date nut bars which are my faaavorite of the christmas cookies.
i've been hoarding all of my stickers but with only 5 months left to go, i really need to start doling (is it doling or doleing, or is that a made up word?) them out.
i taught my first class 'this old man' which was reaaally impossible for them to grasp. this old man, he played one, he played knick knack on my thumb, with a knick knack paddy whack, give a dog a bone, this old man came rolling home. now explain that to a non-native english speaker.
it probably didn't help that i tried to reinforce the song by playing musical chairs with it. my coteacher and i just screamed it while the kids ran around like crazy people and hovered around empty chairs. we did have a whoooole lot of fun though.
my second class likes to repeat everything i say in exactly the same tone as me, and today they had to make sentences with vocab words and they added my name into every sentence and they thought they were sooo clever.
i've been regularly bringing my stickers to my little tiny baby classes but i clearly need to spread the love if i want to make a dent in the stockpile.
only the tin is from the bakery. the cookies are straight from gram's kitchen.
i brought mr. kuo and company some peanut brittle and mr. kuo took a bite and went running inside to bring out some taiwanese peanut brittle. it isn't the same at all though. it's almost all peanut with just enough candy to hold it together in a bar. i prefer grams.

mrs. chan gave me a plate of 2 different kinds of fried things and i took a bite and it was like.. gummy banana taffy/paste the consistency of really dried out and stretchy turkish delight, just fried in a won ton wrapper. and the other was the same taffy but rolled in cornflakeish stuff. i said xiang jiao? (babana?) and mrs. chan was all excited that i knew the word for banana and properly identified it.

No comments: